Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Blackbird

Last week HERE I mentioned The Beatles refusing to play Jacksonville if the concert was segregated, and apparently the good people at BBC News are big Xmastime fans (duh!) since now they've come out with an article re: the same thing happening in California:
The Beatles had previously taken a public stand on civil rights in 1964, when they refused to perform at a segregated concert at the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Florida. 

City officials relented, allowing the stadium to be integrated, and the band took to the stage.
"We never play to segregated audiences and we aren't going to start now," said John Lennon. "I'd sooner lose our appearance money."

The struggle for racial equality in America later inspired Paul McCartney to write Blackbird.
Ironically, when I went to high school in 8th grade I discovered that white girls who dated black guys were called blackbirds, so.  Hmm.  Big Beatles fans, I guess.

No comments: