Friday, December 12, 2014

Sandinista!, Baby

Today's the 34th anniversary of the release of The Clash's sprawling (to put it mildly) three-record Sandinista!  Listening to it now, part of its charm might be that you can't really pin it down to a single album. I remember reading a quote from Mick Jones once that the album was meant to be skipped around, and that if it had been released in the cd age its legacy would be different.

I'm so old that while in college I actually called Rolling Stone magazine and told them I wanted to write a college paper on the Clash. They were so baffled that they actually SENT mimeographed copies of every article on the Clash that had been in RS, along with a personal note "Greg - hope this helps, let me know how it goes." I still have the stuff they sent me; doing something like that in today's internet age is pretty unthinkable.

Okay, here's my single-album version early:
Hitsville UK
The Leader
Someone Got Murdered
Lose this Skin
Police on My Back
The Sound of the Sinners
Career Opportunities
Bankrobber (my artistic license, so suck it)
The Street Parade

I also feel this could be changed into a Christmas song.

No comments: