Wednesday, December 07, 2016

It's That Time of the Year

I had a ticket to see the Pogues with Op but I blew it off for some reason, I assume it was to bang out some strange, and it turned out to be the last show Kirsty Mccoll ever did before getting killed.  - XMASTIME
Great article about one of the greatest Xmas songs ever:
The last thing to say about "Fairytale of New York" is that every single time I really listen to it, by the lyrics "came in eighteen to one," I cry a fat tear. This may sound narrow of me, but if you can't identify with the protagonist, I don't think I want to know you or want you to live in my neighborhood. The longing of "Fairytale" for a better land, for better luck, and for better selves in the midst of vice and failure is nearly liturgical in its construction. In this way it's appropriately a song about the transition from Advent to Christmas, from the trials of waiting, to the bells ringing out.
It's not just a fun song, it's a salve to the soul.

No comments: