Monday, January 01, 2018

January 1, 1998

Almost didn’t realize that 20 years ago today I moved to Williamsburg, Brooklyn. From a post ages ago:
“When I moved to New York City I had $7, which I immediately spent at White Castle. Then for weeks I wandered the streets looking for a job, with those roasted peanut carts wringing my guts out block by goddam block. Finally I'd had enough and was gonna give up for good when for some reason I walked into the old Tower Records on 42nd street, where on a huge screen the video for ‘Bittersweet Symphony’ kicked off right when I walked through the door as if it had been waiting for me. The timing was perfect; I WAS that guy walking down the street. It was the moment I realized I belonged in the city. It was the moment of my life. And I'll never forget it.”
I’m sure I’ll spend time tomorrow digging up old posts and being weepy. 

No comments: