Thursday, July 05, 2007

Top Fitty

A few weeks ago I was asked by godihateyourband to compile my Top 50 songs of all time. They would be then scored along with about 20 other music snobs and a definitive “Best 100 of All Time” list would be posted. While we wait for the final results, thought I’d post my slices of slices now. We were also asked to comment on our top 10. yes, I am a giant ho………mo.

Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Like everyone else, I’m sure I took this song for granted for years. But then you get older, and you realize that even though it’s by someone as old as your parents, it’s the best “fuck you” song there is. But the kicker came only about a decade ago, on the Greyhound bus listening on my $14 Port Authority walkman, guaranteed to explode as soon as your “great!” trip was over. I locked in and for the first time I could hear that the song actually speeds up as it rolls on; I’ve still never heard such excitement building in such seasoned musicians as verses and choruses peeled off, you can hear them looking at each other, thrilled to be playing on this. The greatest of all cuts.
River Deep, Mountain High - Ike & Tina Turner
The Wall of Sound meets the single greatest singing performance of all time. Camon.
Can’t Hardly Wait (Tim version) – The Replacements
Rocking, rollicking, heartbreaking, will never understand why they later went with the wimpier version for it’s official release. Supposedly it was cause the song’s about suicide; am I the only one to have since figured out that they pussified the lyrics to stick on a later album which featured a song (“The Ledge”) about…suicide. Christ. And if this had made Tim, there would be no doubts possible about what the single greatest album of all time was.
Born to Run – Bruce Springsteen
whatever dude said about cadillacs and melted down Crystals ’ records, I second. Only thing I can say about this that ain’t been said a hundred times is I’m always flabbergasted no one since has ever tried to replicate that combo of words + Spector. Ah well.
It’s the Same Old Song – The Four Tops
Of course you could pick a million Motown slices, but this has always been my super schliiiice. Can still remember as a young buck, maybe 7ish, going out to play catch with my brother. I had to quickly run back into the house to get something, and as I was reaching for whatever it was this came on and I was stunned. That fat rollicking riff, still got a hold on me. Can remember what I was wearing, my brother was wearing (a dress? Hiyooo!) and where I was (bedroom, in front of window looking out on backyard.) Desert island slice.
I Wanna Hold Your Hand – The Beatles
the single greatest 2 minutes of pure excitement there is. Sound and movement so great it covers up that the words are kinda dumb and repeat three times. Nothing’s better than being at a bar when this comes on, it JUMPS out of the speakers and whether they even know it or not everyone’s dancing in their own way to it as they drink/talk/hit on me.
Do You Remember Rock n Roll Radio? – The Ramones
the greatest band at their best. Another one of those “how was this not the biggest song in the world?” songs. Combines everything great about rock n roll: amazing bass, thrilling horns and words that reflect the past while asking for more from today and tomorrow. Perfection at it’s best.
Anarchy in the UK –Sex Pistols
wore this whole album out like a mf in my ’78 Ford Fiesta back in the day. In the business we call this slice a “slow burn.”
In the Midnight Hour – Wilson Pickett
one of those songs, like Jackie Wilson’s “Higher and Higher”, that I completely forget about but then it comes on the radio and I’m blown away EVERY SINGLE TIME. Dirty, hypnotizing, and should only be heard after midnight in pitch blackness.
You’ve Lost that Loving Feeling – Righteous Brothers
Higher & Higher – Jackie Wilson
Sweet Little Sixteen – Chuck Berry
Sugar Sugar – The Archies
There She Goes My Beautiful World – Nick Cave
Then He Kissed Me – Crystals
Radio Free Europe - REM
Bonzo Goes to Bitburg – The Ramones
Left in the Dark – The Vertebrats
Many Rivers to Cross – Jimmy Cliff
Complete Control – The Clash
Baby Come Back – The Equals
To Love Somebody – Bee Gees
Why Don’t You Love Me – Hank Williams
Little Red Corvette – Prince
Days – The Kinks
Faraway You - Marah
That Girl Belongs to Yesterday – Gene Pitney
Suspicious Minds – Elvis Presley
Love of the Common People – Nicky Thomas
This is England – The Clash
Bring it on Home to Me - Sam Cooke
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
Roadrunner - The Modern Lovers
Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly
Turn on the News - Husker Du
I’m Walkin - Fats Domino
Sometime to Return - Soul Asylum
Land of Hope and Dreams – Bruce Springsteen
Fortunate Son - Credence Clearwater Revival
Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
Disappeared – Tandy
Don’t Let Me Down – DT and the Shakes
Have I The Right? – The Honeycombs
Always on My Mind – Willie Nelson
Him or Me - Paul Revere and the Raiders
Whole Wide World – Wreckless Eric
Black Velvet Elvis – Carnival Season
Summer Babe - Pavement
Side of the Road - Lucinda Williams
It’s Only Make Believe - Conway Twitty

1 comment:

Angelissima said...

clearly, you have too much free time.