Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Hall of My Ass

I see that in a few minutes MLB will announced this year's Hall of Fame class. Which of course means that for the last week we've been assaulted with Goose Gossage crying and whining to get in. I'm sorry, but if after 14 years the writers haven't voted you in, maybe you don't deserve it. The whole thing is such nonsense; I just read that a few years ago Gossage had 100 fewer votes than Jim Rice, and then all of a sudden last year he had 68 MORE than Rice. During which time, if I'm correct, neither one of these men were, you know...playing baseball. So this bullshit is really up to the whims and moods of the writers et al?

One thing that's been lost is that it's the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of Let's Have Baseball Experts Analyze Your Career for The Next Decade. IE your performace should transcend the sport itself, your name should be somewhat universal. I think the test of whether or not you should be voted in should be decided by none other than Sistatime herself. Each year they should read the names of the nominees to my sister, and if she has even remotely heard of your name, you're in. Otherwise, tough doodoo.

No comments: