Sunday, June 08, 2008

Harry Doyle



I was watching this old Bob Ueker clip. Cause let's face it, I could listen to Ueker all day, every day...HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THIS GUY DOESN'T HAVE A REALITY SHOW?!!?!?!?!?!

Anyways I'm watching, and all of a sudden near the end the thing starts going batshit, but then I realize that whoever had sent the clip in was watching it on videotape and was rewinding the tape for a second. It dawned on me that we are subject to the whims of whoever sends these things in. And then I started wondering if the next time I'm watching the video for "Hot for Teacher" I'm gonna see some dude's spooge flying across the screen all of a sudden. Hmm.

UUUUUEKK!!!!!!

SIDE NOTE - Five Favorite Bob Ueker Quotes:

"Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. But to be able to trick people year in and year out the way I did, I think that was a much greater feat."

"In 1962 I was named Minor League Player of the Year. It was my second season in the Bigs."

"I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for $3,000. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up."

"I set records that will never be equaled. In fact, I hope 90% of them don't even get printed."

"Career highlights? I had two. I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets."

Five Favorite Bob Ueker Quotes from Major League:

"Heywood leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair. When this guy sneezes, he looks like a party favor."

"JUST a bit outside."

"So, here is Rick Vaughn, the one they call the "Wild Thing". So, he sets and deals.
[Vaughn throws a wild pitch]
Just a bit outside, he tried for the corner and missed.
[Vaughn throws another wild pitch]
Ball 4.
[Vaughn throws another wild pitch]
Ball 8.
[Vaughn throws another wild pitch]
Low, and he walks the bases loaded on 12 straight pitches. How can these guys lay off pitches that close?"

[after Hayes calls a shot to left field and flies out to left for the second time]
"You know, he could be pointing at the left fielder."

Harry Doyle: "So a tough loss for the Indians as Pedro Cerrano doubles off a pigeon and is tagged out while administering CPR before the tying run could score. Funny game ain't it Monty?
Monte: Well at least the bird survived.
Harry Doyle: Who cares? It's a rat with wings."

"If that's not Shaquille O'Neal in left, that baby's outta here."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just reading these lines has me cracking up. The Uek is an American institution.