Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Comics

When I was a kid the comics strips in the paper were like teachers at my school - they seemed to stay the exact same for 20 years, then all of a sudden one day there was a complete turnover. I used to read the comics every morning when I was a kid. Not that they were actually funny, but they were a source of comfort in some strange way. Every morning, there they were. Nowadays whenever I try to look at the comics page, I don't recognize anything. Fuzzy? Non-Sequitor? What?

And now it seems like comics as a genre might be on the way out. Which, even though I don't even look for my "favorites" any more, is sad to me.

MY DAILY RUN-THROUGH, CIRCA 1978-1990 (TOP 5 FAVORITES IN BOLD):
Blondie
Family Circus
Grin and Bear It
B.C.
Wizard of Id
Beetle Bailey
Bloom County
The Born Loser
Calvin & Hobbes
Curtis
The Far Side
For Better of For Worse
Funky Winkerbean
Garfield
Gil Thorp
Hagar the Horrible
Peanuts
Pluggers
Shoe
Snuffy Smith

Again, I'm not really saying these strips were great per se; but for a long time they were a part of my everyday life, and I kinda miss them.




4 comments:

Nerdhappy said...

Bloom County, Calvin & Hobbes, and The Far Side were the best...

Dilbert is a modern one that is pretty good, but the best stuff nowadays is the political ones.

Why dont you write a comic? Can you draw? I'd bookmark that Fo Sho!

Nerdhappy said...

Check out this genius:
http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/

Tricia said...

What about Apartment 3G? Mary Worth?

Kiko Jones said...

G - G is pretty cool.