Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pigeons

The other day I was marveling at how FAT the pigeons in Bryant Park in the middle of Manhattan were - these didn't look like any birds I knew, they looked like oven-roasters standing on toothpicks. Jesus christ, I could almost hear one of them "Morty, Morty, hold up, hold...just....lemme sit here for a spell...oh, god..." his tiny little legs trembling beneath him as he re-launched into dining on the sidewalk smorgasbord. Then this morning walking to the train I noticed all the birds on my own block are about 1/2 the size. "Are these pigeons trying to be hipsters?" I wondered. Mainly, I thought maybe I should tell them what they're missing across the East River, maybe hip them to a better spread. But then I thought well, wouldn't that ruin things for the birds in Bryant Park, now their turf is gettin cut into? And would I actually be doing the birds on my block a favor, basically opening the door for them to obesity/heart disease et al?

I finally decided that what they don't know won't hurt 'em, plus they couldn't understand me anyways as they don't speak English. Kept my mouth shut, kept walking to the train.

No comments: