Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Piracy

I know I'm an asshole, but surely I'm not the only one who finds it difficult to take this whole "ship taken over by pirates" ordeal seriously because they're actually using the word "pirates," am I? You hear the work "hijacker" and you think of a sinister, swarthy guy intent on killing everybody in the name of a God that you know nothing about. But you hear "pirates" and you think "boy, that sounds like fun." I mean, you can't report on serious situations with words that we're really only used to hearing at amusement parks, right? I mean, you might as well say the ship was taken over by Yogi Bear; it's the same shit to me.







"Hey hey Boo Boo! Collect all these people's money, put it in these nice pic-a-nic baskets!"

3 comments:

Kiko Jones said...

Let's just call everybody a hijacker and be done with it.

BayonneMike said...

I think the Disney ride/movies have distorted our perception of pirates. Having just read Treasure Island, I can better appreciate the use of the term.

Tricia said...

^agreed, i think my nephews find it really cool as they are obsessed w/pirates.