Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Happy Bastille Day: Things to Like About France


Croissants.

I had my first and best croissant in Baltimore in, I would guess, 1980. It was everything a croissant should be: flaky and buttery beyond comprehension. I took a bite, was in heaven, took another, left heaven in the dust. I gnawed on that fucker til it was gone and wanted more...but in looking up, I realized my family had walked off without me. In a panic I spun around in every direction, looking...nothing. I took off running, darting through a huge crowd, hoping to spot Brothatime!!'s Vince Ferragamo Rams jersey. And this was back in the day when your parents could leave you in a big crowd in a big city and not bother to look for you, and Social Services would say "kid, quit calling this number, we're busy." I remember it was scorching hot, I was lost, and in the middle of a kazillion strangers.

Obviously, I found Brothatime!! and that jersey. Panic averted. But 29 years later, I'm still looking for that croissant. Can still taste it, and every one I've had since has been a letdown.

3 comments:

Nerdhappy said...

Supermarket croissants are usually pretty good, get some of those.

*wrings hand and laughs maniacally*

Tricia said...

Just say no to croissants wrapped in plastic.

kittenbomb said...

No croissant will ever be as glorious as the first one. They're like heroin that way. It is known.