Thursday, October 01, 2009

Five Years Later

Did the infamous Jon Stewart Crossfire Interview harm America?

Looking at it now, it seems the easy answer is "yes." That is, if you can really attribute the polarization of cable news to this single appearance - which I personally view as highly doubtful.  These cable shows are making so much money now, it's hard to imagine they didn't know well enough at the time to happily ditch the then current system and sprint to polarization the first chance they had. And it's hard to believe it really happened organically, over some interview, as opposed to some financial/demo analysis. I see Stewart less as a catalyst here and more as an excuse.

I recall the interview very clearly, and, while a Jon Stewart fan before, I remember after the show liking Tucker Carlson more than ever. Partly due to Stewart's over-the-top smugness, but mostly due to his laying the groundwork that at any time, when backed into a corner, he could always pull the ol' "we follow Crank Yankers!!" defense. Fucking weak, I thought. You can do low-brow shit, but if called on your high-brow shit, you better fucking step up.

Maybe that interview split up cable "debate," but I find that hard to believe; the polarization of America was already at enough of a gallop so that we demanded completely, 100% black 'n white, red 'n blue cable shows to throw red meat at us: Hannity, O'Reilly, Olbermann, Maddow, it's all the same shit: "If you already believe this, come hear it repeated!!" Stewart throws in some snark, and away we go.

What's funny is that 5 years later, if you asked me if I'd like to watch a show featuring Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson go head to head or Jon Stewart doing his thing, I would not even hesitate. I'd be thrilled Begala/Carlson was even happening, and would tune in with a bowl of fucking popcorn.

No comments: