Sunday, January 31, 2010

Living On the Edge of the World

Bruce Xmastime memory HERE:
I bought Born in the USA when it came out; I was 11 years old and this seemed to me to be the only real 'rock n roll' record out there that I knew about at the time. I can still remember playing it over and over - I loved the bombast of the title track, and I LOVED the single 'Dancing in the Dark', - still do to this day. The track that still gets me choked up, and I can still picture where I was sitting when I first heard it, is 'Bobby Jean', Bruce's farewell to his departed friend Steven Van Zandt. Man. Funeral slice of funeral slices. But for some reason, in a move that did not fit in my later musical personality at all, it never really occurred to me to get Bruce's other records. I wore the HELL outta Born in the USA (still have the cassette, too), but it never occurred to me to pick up anything else. Many, many years later my buddy Op gave me a mix tape of Bruce cuts (remember mix tapes?). I remember riding the Dog down to Charlottesville and I had it in my walkman, kinda listening, not really paying attention etc and then a song called 'Livin On the Edge of the World' came on. Blew, blew blew me away. And just like that, I was in love. After all those years, I was in. 
Yesterday GodIHateYourBand was saying that the song Living on the Edge by Aerosmith was a great song. "You gotta really listen to it!" he screeched. This, of course, makes him a giant fucking fag - or, worse, an Aerosmith fan.

But just thinking of the title of the song made me think of my slice of slices, Living on the Edge of the World, which later was surgically cut up and found itself into at least two songs that ended up on Nebraska. Enjoy.



and hell, for you Buddy Holly fans:

2 comments:

here. said...

i think the line was, "it's actually a pretty well-written song" ... something i'd never say about that bruce p.o.s. you posted ... PSYCHE!!!!!

Xmastime said...

is the Aerosmith song beautiful?