Friday, March 26, 2010

Andy Pettitte, Hall of Famer?

I wouldn't vote for Andy Pettitte for the same reason I wouldn't really vote for Mussina. He's been an invaluable, ridiculously dependable workhorse and will be cherished forever by Yankees fans. But nobody sat up late at night terrified of facing Andy Pettitte. Like Moose I would love if he did get in, but I wouldn't be the one pushing it.

But if he goes a crappy 11-10 next year and then retires, his career winning percentage will be .623, which is shocking to me. And if you throw in the postseason, since we're supposed to automatically put Schilling in the HOF  because he won 11 games, it's not THAT crazy to think of Andy going in. Especially considering his 5 rings (plus noting the Yankees won 0 rings when he was in Houston.)


Daily News:

With a career record of 229-135 going into the 2010 season, the lefthander has put himself a couple of more winning seasons away from Hall of Fame consideration. The fact that he passed John Smoltz as the all-time postseason leader in wins with 18, earning four wins last October and November, adds significant weight to his resume.

Pettitte himself laughs off talk about the Hall of Fame, saying he's never thought of himself as that type of pitcher, and never thought much at all about numbers.

"It's amazing to me to hear people talking about the possibility," he says. "Maybe it's because I feel like the game has felt like a struggle to me, that I didn't have the kind of unbelievable stuff to make the game easy.

"I feel like if you're a Hall of Famer the game shouldn't be so difficult. I look at Derek and Mo, those guys are Hall of Famers and it's a joke how easy they make the game look.

"It's cool to hear it, but I'd just like to be remembered as a guy who took the ball no matter what. And I would hope people would say that I was a great teammate, because I tried to worry about everybody else all the time, and not myself."

3 comments:

Gina said...

Ok, here's my Andy Pettitte Pin Poem:

I tried to hide, but then she said it
"You want a deal? You wont' regret it!"
"But it's the Post, I've never never read it"
"Bothers me too, though I won't let it"
" Like 20 lbs, I'd like to edit."
"Hey me too, but I just can't shed it."
"And my hair's a mess and I have to wet it."
" Just this one, you have to get it."
" No really, please, let's just forget it."
" It's just 3 bucks, you've got store credit."
"Okay, then give me the Pettitte!!!"

Kiko Jones said...

When it comes to the HoF, it's either dominance or numbers; it can't be both. And if the former is the true measure, they have to clear out a truckload of people from Cooperstown. But if numbers are the most significant criteria, then Mussina's stats guarantee him residency upstate, since his are equal--and in some cases, better--than quite a few of those already enshrined.

Fuck all that "he-helped-make-it-happen-after-86 years" bullshit: if Schilling gets in, Andy's induction is a no-brainer.

Nerdhappy said...

No entry for juicers.