Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Yule Log IV

TNC:
I don't think I can, in good conscience, continue to watch what is basically becoming the Jim and Pam show. I'm conflicted even as write this because I thought the wedding episode was pretty funny. But I can't really take how the relationship has become central to the show. I'm getting that sinking feeling that the writers are basically out of things to say, but are trying to wring as much juice as possible out of the show before it's switched to Fridays and canceled.
I agree - Jim and Pam are the most boring couple in tv history, and  I audibly groan whenever the two of them are alone onscreen (also, whenever I move a muscle.) However, luckily the writers for The Office have always shown a willingness for self-correction: bringing Toby back, ditching Stamford, and, thank god, getting rid of the "Jim as co-manager" thing that was the dumbest thing in sitcom history. So I feel confidant that the writers will recognize that the whole Jim/Pam/baby thing  has to take a backseat, along with remembering that they have PLENTY of other awesome characters to give minutes too.

Also on-target is TNC on Tina Fey. I love Tina Fey. But she is unwatchable on that show - yeah, we're REALLY supposed to believe she is some sort of bumbling, ugly loser who of course cannot get a man (just like we're supposed to cry for Jennifer Aniston every night,) is shoveling in doughnuts and can't do anything right. Yglesias had a bit about "Liz Lemoning" HERE. Camon. If this annoys me, I would think women would be pissed too. Tina Fey is ugly? Really? Yes, and I now refer you to my "John Holmes' small pee-pee" video collection.

Also reminds me of my friend Cindy's comment once that whenever Hollywood wants to make a character "frowsy or homely," they merely darken a hot chick's hair (see Winslet in Little Children.)

Fucking nonsense.

No comments: