Friday, April 02, 2010

Oh Goody, Just When I Thought It Wasn't Possible That I Was Contributing Less to Society


Bob Hurley has won something like 22 state championships in 35 years, and is the father of maybe the greatest point guard in NCAA history as well as another kid who played at Seton Hall who, according to some random article I happened to read last week for no discernible reason, is something like 120-4 so far as a high school coach in his own right. So in the two decades I've know who Bob Hurley is, I've imagined him sitting at his desk patting himself on the back getting blown by school-supplied hookers (now THAT'S some back to school shopping.)

But last night at three in the morning I landed on some PBS doc I didn't know existed, The Street Stops Here. Mesmerizing (tho I crapped out around 4am.) I dunno know why this was buried so late-night. Anyway, it turns out Hurley spends an incredible amount of off-court time hustling around the NJ neighborhood busting his hump to help inner-city kids' lives. Makes you embarrassed you're doing so little, watching tv and dusting Cheetos off your drawers. And with his own players he gives no quarter, demanding perfection from them. Xmastime says: watch this shit if you can find it.

2 comments:

ericreiberg said...

I think you mean NCAA history. Bobby coulda been pretty ill in the NBA, showed signs, were it not for the car wreck.

Xmastime said...

whoops! corrected! :)