Thursday, May 13, 2010

Album Thoughts, Part III

It was always George Martin's policy that the first and last song on each side of a record should be strong - I think he called them an albums sign posts. Of course that doesn't matter these days since Steve Jobs simply sends songs to our minds via his death ray, but I thought I'd check out my favorites of each category from my favorite bands (same ones from yesterday.)

TODAY: Side 1 closers

THE RAMONES
Too Tough to Die
: Chasing the Night
Also Pretty Awesome: I Don't Wanna Go Down to the Basement, We're a Happy Family, I'm Against It, It's Not My Place (In the 9 to 5 World), Somebody Like Me, Palisades Park. godamn, even Brain Drain made this list.

THE REPLACEMENTS
Pleased to Meet Me
: The Ledge
Also Pretty Awesome: Swingin' Party

THE BEATLES
Help!
: Ticket to Ride
Also Pretty Awesome : Please Please Me,, She Said She Said. Surprisingly few choices, considering it was Martin what came up with the whole "signposts" thing. Hmm.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
Born to Run
: Backstreets
Also Pretty Awesome: Racing in the Street, The River

THE CLASH
Combat Rock
: Straight to Hell
Also Pretty Awesome: London's Burning, The Guns of Brixton

MARAH
Their albums have never really been on tapes or records...until LIFE'S A PROBLEM, their upcoming one!  Find it HERE!!

R.E.M.
Document
: It's the End of the World as We Know It (did I mistakenly list on yesterday's list? whoops!)
Also Pretty Awesome:  Strange Currencies. These guys were not awesome at this particular signpost.

HUSKER DU
Warehouse
: She Floated Away
Also Pretty Awesome: Too Far Down

SOUL ASYLUM
Made to Be Broken
: Never Really Been
Also Pretty Awesome: Never Really Been, Endless Farewell, Gullible's Travels, String of Pearls

No comments: