Sunday, July 24, 2011

HBO Sports

Ross Greenberg, the head of HBO Sports, resigned last week.  Normally, the resignation of some tv exec wouldn't be noticed by anyone outside of "the biz", but Greenberg holds a special place for reigning over HBO Sports during the incredible run of Liev Schrieber-narrated documentaries.

There's not a doc on that list I don't love and urge everyone to watch, although if I had to, I'd put

Magic & Bird: Friendship of Rivals
Mantle
Do You Believe in Miracles?
Nine Innings from Ground Zero

above the others, if only because I think they deserve the highest compliment possible for such a genre:  you don't have to know or care about the sport or have any pre-hand knowledge of the athletes to be drawn in to each story as if watching a movie with fascinating characters and an incredible story.  If you can watch any of these without being rewarded emotionally, I don't know what to tell you.

No comments: