Sunday, October 09, 2011

Dark Horse, Cont.

The Scorcese doc on George Harrison was a disappointment on many levels, one of which is it doesn't convey how funny George was:
When the audition was all over, Martin spoke to the band via the talkback mic. The Beatles were huddled in the corner of Studio 2. Martin invited them up for a chat and listen in the control room. Martin gave them a long lecture on recording and what was what at Abbey Road. "We gave them a long lecture about their equipment and what would have to be done about it if they were to become recording artists," says Norman Smith. "They didn't say a word back, not a word, they didn't even nod their heads in agreement. When he finished, George said, 'Look, I've laid into you for quite a time, you haven't responded. Is there anything you don't like?' I remember they all looked at each other for a long while, shuffling their feet, then George Harrison took a long look at George and said, 'Yeah, I don't like your tie.' That cracked the ice for us and for the next 15- 20 minutes they were pure entertainment. When they left to go home George and I just sat there saying 'Phew! What to you think of that lot then?' I had tears running down my face. "  Martin was later to comment that it was their wit more than their music that sold him.

2 comments:

Marley said...

To be fair, I just watched the first part and it includes Martin telling that story. Still, it is boringly reverent(bad for non-Beatles enthusiasts) and I don't think it revealed one new thing or approach (bad for us). It even had an obligatory interview of Yoko, who, when all was said and done, had nothing to add (though how long has she been in this country and she still sounds like she's taking my take-out order?)

the gnat said...

Ditto. I still cracked up at that line though.