Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Bittersweet Symphony

When I moved to New York City I had $7, which I immediately spent at White Castle. Then I spent weeks going from door to door asking for a job, with those roasted peanut carts wringing my goddam guts out block by goddam block. And I will never forget the moment I'd had enough, when I said "fuck this!" and I was gonna chuck it all in, that I for some reason entered the old Tower Records on 42nd street, and this fucking song kicked off as I opened the door, just as if it was watching me. The timing was so perfect, I WAS that dude walking down the street singing.  I don't give a fuck about the band, or the album, or the song itself, but I will always remember that moment as the moment I realized I belonged in the fucking city. It was the moment of my life. And I'll never forget it.

No comments: