Monday, October 01, 2012

Are You Shitting Me du Jour

The internet, and Facebook, is an amazing thing - via ol' #63 Ron Gilbert, here's video from my first-ever varsity football game, against Powhatan in 1987. Sophomore year. The only sophomores on the team were me, Robert Johnson and Alonzo Baxter. We lost 48-6; looking at the film now, I don't know where the 6 came from.  I'm #82 - in the beginning in particular, you can see me lining up on the near side at tight end. I seem to have made most of my blocks, though I was late outta the blocks each play. Maybe due to us always being offsides (tho again, this was my first-ever game.) Otherwise, you see Brothatime!!, our fearless qb and #17, running for his life instead of passing it to me.

Mostly, I'm blown away that this exists, and 25 years later I'm watching it. Amazing. And of all games, it was my first varsity one. Man.

UPDATE: According to this footage, I didn't play defense the whole game. What the fuck? NO WONDER WE  ONLY  GAVE UP 48 POINTS!!!


No comments: