Thursday, April 17, 2014

Ranching Ain't EZ But It's Necessary

I'm not 100% sure I even understand this whole Nevada rancher thing, but from what I think I know:

1. "Rancher" uses government land and doesn't pay any fees or taxes for over 2 decades
2. When (finally?) confronted by the US Govt, his friends take up arms. Literally.
3. The govt backs down, doesn't wanna see people killed over this.
4. They then declare that the next time the govt comes hard, they're going to put the women up front? What? How is this is any case "the American West", and WHO ARE THESE FUCKING WOMEN THAT WOULD LET THEMSELVES BE PLAYED SO BADLY?!?!?

So, anyways....I'm scared of the government coming after me if I tear a tag off a mattress. Why is it so hard to arrest this douchebag and throw him behind bars?
Bundy is using the language of freedom, patriotism and outright paranoia to further his business interests. He succeeded wildly in drawing other “patriots” to his slice of contested desert. I don’t know these exact people, but the words and phrases they used were the nursery rhymes of my childhood. I’ve been listening to ignorant people bitch about the federal “gub’met,” since I could crawl, and I’m weary of it. I can’t bear to hear poor people rally to the defense of moneyed interests like mining and ranching, like well-trained, bleating sheep. As tired and silly as I find his language, clearly it worked. He so inflamed the lunatic militia movement, that many rallied to him, often from out of state, with guns and naked threats. They created a real possibility that someone might get killed, so the feds backed down.

No comments: