Monday, June 09, 2014

I Only Wish the Good Times Would Last a Little Longer

From 2008:
About a year ago I wrote HERE about how I Melt with You, while never a real "hit" had somehow become known by everybody in the world. And it occurred to me that Ball and Chain is another example of such a song. Wasn't a "hit" like whatever the next steaming pile Metallica will put out, but you could ask a housecat that's been in prison for 30 years and he somehow knows the song. "Ball and Chain? Oh yeah, sliiiiice. Meow."
It just occurred to me that next year will be the 25th anniversary of the release of that album, the eponymously-titled Social Distortion.  I can still remember sitting around on my freshman dorm floor during my first few weeks of pretend college when I heard Story of My Life blaring from down the hall. In a move totally against my personality but so in love with the song I was hearing, I walked down and introduced myself to the guys who were playing it and asked what the fuck it was. It was Story of My Life, and it's still fucking great tonight.

We're still friends to this day, and I still love this album. And I think it's become one of "those albums" (like the first Violent Femmes record) that somehow, some way, everybody knows and loves.


No comments: