Sunday, October 04, 2015

In America, Cont.

I’d like to revisit the idea of “oh fuck it, it’s part of the fabric of our culture" when it comes to guns in America.  I think it’s just become something we automatically say without actually thinking about it. I don’t feel like it’s a part of who I am. And I bet there’s a lot of people out there who would say the same (I don’t wanna be sexist here, but how many woman are really pumped up about guns?) I’d wager that the number of people who actually feel that guns are a big part of their culture and what America means to them would not be big enough to label it as being such a large part of the fabric of America. But there’s somehow an implication that a guy in Idaho taking a selfie with his rifle is more American than I am. He is not. The guys waving their AK-47s around at Chipolte are not more “American” than me. At some point we have to wonder if this is yet another racist dog whistle that we’re all inured to, “The fabric of our culture” being a percentage of white males who like being white males & staying in power. I’m not sure the white guy in Idaho is as willing to fight for the Chicago black guy’s right for a gun.

No comments: