Friday, February 24, 2017

Darryl Hammond

He didn't know who I was, but I've written before how much I looked up to Darryl Hammond as a kid. He died last week from ALS, and here's just one of many stories I've seen online:
Because Darryl was so well respected by the players, Joe Paterno often asked Darryl for insights on how best to connect with the team. Joe valued him so much that after that season he offered Darryl a job as a full assistant coach.
But Darryl was still playing Arena Football in the summers. His competitive streak wouldn’t allow him to give that up. While we all tried to change his mind, he explained he couldn’t change who he was.
Through Joe’s disappointment he stated his admiration “I respect Darryl. Few people are honest about who they are and even less are willing to be true to themselves.”

No comments: