Friday, February 24, 2006

Xmastime Album Series Part 1

Welcome to the first in our new series of “Paddy Mac and Theodore Discuss Albums.” This week’s album is “Float Away with the Friday Night Gods”, by Marah. Released in 2002, the album created a sort of firestorm amongst its most hardened of fans coming on the heels of its critically acclaimed sophomore record “Kids in Philly,”; many fans feeling that the “huge arena rock” sound of the record was too much of a stretch from the urban-Stonesy feel of “Kids in Philly.” This was also their first recording done outside of their home base above an auto shop in South Philly, as David and Serge Bielanko joined forces with Owen Morris (Oasis, Blur etc) in Wales. Also a factor was the appearance of Bruce Springsteen on the title track, to whom the band had been constantly compared to and some felt a bit TOO much of an influence. So we sat down with Paddy Mac and Theodore and got their thoughts on the record.

THE PANEL
Paddy Mac

16 weeks old. 11 pounds. Likes baby food, watching college football with “The Wilson Boys”, and shitting himself.

Theodore

Age unknown. 1 pound. Likes George W. Bush, corporate welfare, and, for reasons unknown, Kirk “The Barber” Henderson. Presumably cause they’re the same height.


XMASTIME: Guys, thanks a lot for meeting. As you know, we’re discussing Marah’s third album, “Float Away with the Friday Night Gods.” Your first thoughts, please.
PADDY MAC: I love this record. It’s what a rock n roll album should be: loud, rocking and loud. The perfect follow up to “Kids in Philly.”
THEODORE: First of all, I’d like to say Ann Coulter, I’m disappointed in you and your trashing President Bush this week about the Dubai ports deal. I was into you, thought about us starting something together, but now you’ve fucked it up and I want you to know I am NOT interested anymore. Do not call, do not write, do not try and talk to me if you happen to be in Xmastime’s room and I’m on the couch. You will receive a frosty, frosty stare from my dead, plastic eyes.
XMASTIME: Umm..that’s great Theodore, but you didn’t answer the question.
THEODORE: What was the question?
XMASTIME: Your thoughts on “Float Away” by Marah
THEODORE: My “thoughts”? Well, I “think” it sucks. It’s loud, too fast and, let’s not forget, was done BEFORE The Barber joined the band. I can barely be bothered to listen to it for this lame-ass discussion.
PADDY MAC: You’re insane. Look at all the great songs: “Float Away”, “Soul”, “Leaving”, they’re all classics.
THEODORE: Isn’t this the one with that fucking pinko commie Springsteen?
PADDY MAC: Hey, I love Bruce!
THEODORE: That’s great - looky here, America’s newest pussy liberal. 4 months old, "Brokeback Baby." Christ.
XMASTIME: Let’s focus on the record, fellas. What do you consider your favorite cuts? Paddy Mac?
PADDY MAC: Definitly “Leaving”, which I’d put in my Marah Top 3.
XMASTIME: I love that one too. How bout you Theodore?
THEODORE: Ah, lessee...(looking over song titles) no. no. no. this one sounds gay. No. No. No. Gay. No. This one should be called “My Brother and I Will Be Homeless If We Keep Putting Out This Crap.”
PADDY MAC: Nice. Why don’t we just call them names and insult their mother?
THEODORE: Sounds better than having to talk about this “album” (Theodore asked me to note that as he said the word album he was making air quotes...or would if he had fingers...and could raise his arms)
XMASTIME:What about the big falling out with the fans, the large sense of betrayal that the fans railed about on the band’s message board?
PADDY MAC: I can sort of understand their feeling that, but I think as some times passes they’ll look back and realize what a great album it is, what great songs are on it.
THEODORE: Why don’t we all take a stab at how many times I’ve hit the Marah message board. I’ll give you a hint: it rhymes with “This band sucks, and Bruce is gay.”
PADDY MAC: I don’t think that rhymes with a number.
THEODORE: No, but Bruce sucks.
XMASTIME: Well, I think we’ve heard about enough. That’s one “thumbs up”, and one “thumbs down” an-
THEODORE: ...and one “this album is gay”
XMASTIME: Theodore and Paddy Mac, thank you for your time. Join us next week as we discuss DT & the Shakes debut ep “Smooth Studio Crafted Teen Fodder.”
THEODORE: Ann! Call me! We can work it out!!!!!!
PADDY MAC: ohoh. Code brown down below.
(END TRANSCRIPTION)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw...he's a Paddy Melt...I wuv him.

Anonymous said...

Aw...he's a Paddy Melt...I wuv him.

Anonymous said...

I weewy weewy WUV HIM!!