Monday, March 12, 2007

Bring the (beep)ing Pain, (no beep)

I flipped over to Chris Rock on “Inside the Actors Studio” a few minutes ago. Who doesn’t love Chris Rock? Well, we all do, even if he hasn’t said or done anything funny in about 10 years. But anyway. Lipton is talking with Rock and it turns out I’ve landed on the show just in time, they’re about to talk about Rock’s famous Bring the Pain stand up special. And they go to the spot we all know, we all love, the thing about the difference between black people and niggers.

Now, again, this is Bravo. Regular cable. So Rock launches into the routine, and guess what word you hear about 15 times in one minute? N---er. N---er  this, N---er that, N---er everything.N---er , on regular cable, thrown about like it's no big deal. Bravo not only has no problem letting the word “N---er” through the censors without a beep; they can not even defend themselves by saying “oh well, this is a young black guy tossing the word around like you or I might say 'fiddlesticks'”: Rock is laying out what the worst of the word is; what makes the word “N---er” what it is. Bravo has no problem with this word. Meanwhile? “Fuck” is beeped.

“N---ers got to get the fuck out!”

Now, which word is nebulous to you? “N---er”, or “fuck”? Exactly. And which word fuels hatred? “N---er”, or “fuck”? Exactly.

Yet “fuck” is what got beeped, repeatedly throughout the act. I don’t understand this. A word that is the Babe Ruth of racial insults, oh that’s okay. But the f-word? Oh my, what if Suzy Creamcheese in Omaha hears that??!?!??!!?!!! Jesus doesn’t like the f-word!!...but I guess he doesn’t care about niggers. Great.

So obviously it's okay for me to traipse around saying "N---er", but not "fuck." Got it!

Same way I’ve always been weirded out with “goddamn” on tv. “God” is a word you can say on tv. “Damn” is a word you can say on tv. But “goddamn”? No. Gets beeped. But what’s funny about this? I would assume that like me, you would think that the word that make's it a curse would be “damn.” But guess what word gets beeped? “God.”

“Who left my (beep)damn skates in the garage?”

The word that is (or at least USED to be) a curse, can stay; but not “God.” Makes no sense to me.

No comments: