Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Beautiful Girls

For some reason, “Beautiful Girls” is on my “if it’s on, I’m watching” list. I don’t really know why – it’s a kinda good movie. Not a great movie. Does have an unbelievable cast. And Uma Thurman plus Mira Sorvino plus Lauren Holly plus a pre-pube Natalie Portman makes it an easy movie on the eyes (sorry Rosie and Martha Plimpton.) Some wincingly bad lines, in particular most of Portman’s “old-soul musings.” And gee, a piano sit-around featuring “Sweet Caroline” so everybody can jump in on the “bum-bum-bum!”s. Great.

There is a coziness to the flick; maybe it’s the snow. I don’t know. I’ve always agreed with the big climax, the speech about beautiful girls, even if it’s over the top.

A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack and Coke all morning. Se can make you feel high with the single greatest commodity known to man--promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gaze of a beautiful girl. In her smile, in her soul, how she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay. The supermodels are bottled promise. A beautiful girl is all powerful, and that's as good as love.


I’ve always said, seeing a beautiful girl is a gift from god. Walking down the street and seeing a mind-blowing beautiful woman is about the best thing that can happen all day. Yes I’ve stared too long and gotten the dirty look, but I don’t mind. You'd think really hot women wouldn't even notice dudes staring at them, you'd think they'd be used/numb to it. Or maybe it's just me they don't want looking. I dunno. No, I’m not gonna run up and start hitting on her. I'm not going to follow her home. I just keep walking and smile a simple “thank you” to whoever invented beautiful women.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/category/thing-to-give-a-woman