Sunday, May 25, 2008

Chris Rock (sound it out)

Watching the Eddie Murphy clip below made me think of an argument I've had with my friends over who's funnier, Eddie or Chris Rock. I've always said Eddie. Rock had a great HBO special about a decade ago, and hasn't said anything funny since. Then I thought about the movies Chris has chosen to do - here's the last dozen he's appeared in:

Bee Movie
I Think I Love My Wife
Madagascar
The Longest Yard
Paparazzi
Head of State
Bad Company
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Osmosis Jones
Pootie Tang
Artificial Intelligence: AI
Down to Earth


Looking at this list, I guess my question is...can Chris Rock read? I mean, what goes on when he's given these awful scripts? "Pootie Tang? oooh, HELL yeah!!!" "Pizza delivery guy in a flick with Daniel Baldwin AND Tom Sizemore?!! Look out, I'm going to acting school, people!!!"

I don't think the guy can read. I think it's more like:

Agent: so. take a look at the script last night?
Chris Rock: ummm...oh yeah, yeah...I'm in!
Agent: (surprised) really?
Chris Rock: totally. great script man, great.
Agent: well. okay. and you're cool with the part, playing the, uh....
Chris Rock: ...(taking a shot) wise-cracking black guy?
Agent: ...who delivers pizza?
Chris Rock: yes!
Agent: in one scene?
Chris Rock: just get me in the damn movie.
Agent: oooooooooooookay....

Maybe it's not Chris' fault; can someone teach him how to read so he can stop being in the worst movies in the world??

No comments: