Saturday, September 20, 2008

There is No God

I was watching Nine Innings from Ground Zero for the 900th time this morning. And it dawned on me that you know what, yet another piece of evidence that God does not exist is the fact that the Yankees lost that series.

Not just because the Yankees lost, mind you, but HOW they lost. Think about it...America was under attack blah blah blah, and if there ever was a time that was right for the Yankees to win, this was it. And look at what ensued...Tino's home run, Mr. November's home run, Soriano's gw rbi, the you're-not-human-if-theres-no-waterworks scene of the crowd serenading Paul O'Neill in his last ever game at The Stadium, all setting up a Game 7 of Clemens vs Schilling. All these miraculous moments playing out for people that needed miracles. Deserved miracles, even. And in the end...it all gets thrown away because, of all people, the greatest reliever in the history of the planet throws the ball away at second base. What? Are you kidding me? I'm supposed to believe there's a god, and he's that cruel? Setting us up like that?!?!??!

Good fucking grief.

1 comment:

Nerdhappy said...

It was during that series that I threw away my hatred for the NY Mets and the NY Giants...

After the 9th inning and the first victory for the Diamondbacks in their home stadium, over the loudspeakers they played Sinatra's "New York, New York", just for a few seconds, just to take a jab at us.

I thought it was a low blow to taunt the city that had just gone through what we did, and I decided I would root for any NY team, anywhere.

Represent, Yo!