Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Reporters, Bush, and Memories

Laura Bush says hubby isn't the worst president ever.
"I know it's not"

Now, obviously you can't really expect a wife to say her husband was the worst ever, whether or not she believes it. But her comment would dictate that she believes there is at least one president worse than Bush. If she's gonna come out and say that she "KNOWS" he's not the worst, shouldn't she have to name who she "KNOWS" is? Shouldn't the follow-up question have been "Really? Who is the worst then?"

Which reminds me. All the year-end wrap-ups news bits have reminded me of what I originally thought when the infamous Katie Couric/Sarah Palin moment was aired.
Couric: And when it comes to establishing your worldview, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this to stay informed and to understand the world?
Palin: I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media.
Couric: What, specifically?
Palin:
Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years.
Couric: Can you name a few?

I wasn't shocked that Palin came off as an idiot. But I was shocked that in today's journalistic world of letting interview subjects off the hook without really answering cause instead of actually listening you're simply reading the next question in your notecards over in your head, Couric actually kept after her for an answer. Which is what this reporter should've done with Mrs. Bush.

No comments: