Monday, February 23, 2009

Build a Big Bear

For his second birthday, I got Big Bear a gift certificate to Build-a-Bear. Saturday being 3 weeks from his THIRD birthday, I figured it was time to go and, you know, let him finally get his present. So me, Mamalizza and Cherry Bomb headed with him into the big city to get his new best friend - after a quick stop for ice cream, some of which almost made it into his mouth (the hair term "frosted hi-lites" now makes sense to me), we found ourselves at Build-a-Bear. On a Saturday. Seeing the crowd I immediately wanted to run out into the street to kiss a moving bus, but luckily I knew he'd want a dinosaur stuffed animal, and the dinosaurs were all downstairs, which was virtually empty.

For those unfamiliar, the process is you pick out what animal you want (bear, dog, Rosie O'Donnell), which is as yet unstuffed. Then you pick out whatever clothes/accoutrements you want your new buddy to have, and then you have it "come to life!" ie stuffed with stuffing. Now, this place has EVERYTHING POSSIBLE you can think of for you animal - shirts, pants, suits, every sports team jersey home and away, whatever. Astronaut, cop etc. Mamalizza and I were on top of Big Bear, excitedly trying to shove things on him for his new T-Rex - "Fireman?!?!? ooooh, look, Yankees uni! Rock star/guitar leather jacket!!" But he'd have none of it - about 9 seconds in he had already picked out a shirt (a natty, short-sleeve knit polo) and a pair of sensible, multi-seasonal canvas sneakers. We kept after him to "jazz things up" but he had what he wanted; I almost teared up when finally he looked at me and says quietly, as if with hurt feelings, "he already HAS a shirt." So that was that, and we went upstairs to "give birth!"

Here we are - Big Bear is stepping on the pedal to stuff his T-Rex, while apparently I am desperately trying to get his attention that I am having a heart attack.


T-Rex now stuffed, Big Bear is now "giving him a bath," while I apparently have stuck my finger into a light socket.


Here we are at the computer, entering info for the birth certificate. Big Bear is the one on the left.


Here's me & Big Bear leaving, with his new best buddy safe & snug in his new "condo." I know what you're thinking - "Condo? Grrreeeeeeeaaaat, one MORE motherfucker to bail out!!!"


On the way to T-Rex' new home!!!! And before you even ask, YES I did, and NO theirs don't go sideways.


HERE HE IS!!! With a nice, cotton underpant thrown in for modesty. Big Bear wants his name to be "Dartucheetoo." I'm gonna try to persuade him to go with "Samuel."


Whoops, forgot the best part - as if he wasn't enuff of a nerd, our new guy is a bird watcher!!!! :)


Xmastime, Big Bear and Samuel - look out NYC ladies!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When did you start dressing like this? You weren't even this big a hick when we were hicks. Was this year's Fashion Week "all about the Dunbrooke Hunt Club?"

Tricia said...

perfect for fashion week & building bears: orange hunting cap and bright orange plaid coat. and it's reversible!

Xmastime said...

Gnat, Im ironic! should see my seersucker when I hit the big city....

and FH...you know there's no "accidents" when it comes to me and fashion. please/