Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Wuthering Whatshername

I really suck at remembering names, even when they're in print:
One thing I REALLY suck at is remembering people's names. I can remember people's birthdays, but not their names. And this includes reading - I'll be 50 pages in, and find myself thinking "...Ethan...Ethan Frome; which one the fuck is he?" although I'll remember everything else, and will quickly re-connect everything after a few seconds.

I should've remembered this when I picked up Wuthering Heights to read on the train this morning ("will help me understand women"); instead of spending the first 50 pages scoffing "what is this, The Fall of the House of Usher meets A Bridge to Terabithia?" I might've' started out keeping an organizational chart of who's who, especially since there's 900 fucking Cathys. Grrr.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Don't read the Russians.