Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Jennifer Risko

On the original 2006 Mrs. Xmastime list was a girl in my freshman Western Civ class that I was crazy about, Jennifer Risko:
JENNIFER RISKO
(girl I met in college)
WEEKS ON THE CHARTS: 792
PROS: again, beautiful equine-styled face. Was a world traveler, as I recall. Made my heart leap outta my chest when I saw her in some freshman history class. Spurred me on to show my “romantic” side by simply walking up to her and saying “Hi I’m Greg. You’re the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen in my life.”
CONS: followed up my big speech by telling me she was dating All-SEC qb Eric Zeier. hmm. blew me off on our one big “date” by GOING TO A DIVISION 2 BASKETBALL GAME WITH HER FRIENDS!!! Haven’t seen her in 15 years. If you showed her my name & face would have no idea who I was.
ODDS: 1%. Probably not even that high; I just don’t wanna give anyone else the unanimous “Fuck you, Greg” reserved for Phylicia Rashad.
Eric Zeier!! Douchebag went on to play in the NFL!!  grrr.

Anyways. Thanks to the All-Google power of the internet, just now I found out that she died of leukemia in January 1997. What the fuck. Obviously, I haven't seen her in almost 20 years, so it's not like we were close. But she was the first girl I fell for in college. I can still see her in that "oh so 90's!" faux-suede brown jacket of the day, walking back to Wheeler Dorm, and I got up the guts to approach her, and I told her what I told her above. Now, everything after that sucked, she had no interest in me, but I can remember that moment clear as a bell. We were so young. Freshman year. And it turns out not only is she dead, but she's been dead for 13 years. Died at the age of 24. After I met her, she only lived another six years. Mind-boggling. It's not even as if she's just died, and the scars are fresh; people close to her have had almost a decade and a half to move on. She's the ghost in the yearbook, a goddam black and white photo. Yellowed pages. But I can still see her in that blue/yellow Heidelberg High sweatshirt, getting on the elevator. Goddam. 1997. It's amazing what can take the wind out of your sails on any given night.

No comments: