Tuesday, February 16, 2010

ESPN Classic

I am watching the 1983 Final Four game between Houston and Louisville on ESPN Classic. Fucking incredible; certainly one of the top 3 games Brothatime!! and I saw in our room in Kino, USA. I remember every name; I've seen maybe 3 dribbles, the rest has been like my own playing days: above the rim.

As I'm watching, and even while knowing the outcome, it is utterly baffling to me that neither one of these teams won the title two days later. What the fuck.

More on that game HERE.
Houston and Louisville brought Rucker Park to the Final Four and changed the college game forever.
MICHEAUX: "Benny was easily the best athlete on the team."

GETTYS: "I'm 6-6, Benny's 6-5, and the tip of my fingers came to the middle of his forearm. Then throw in a legit 40-inch vertical. A freak, I mean, just incredible."

YOUNG "We called him 'The Outlaw' because his freshman year he came to practice wearing a shirt reading 'Outlaw' on it. He said it was his high school nickname 'cause he would just kill you. I'm pretty sure he meant on the court."

BONK: "I'll never forget Benny getting off a plane in Fayetteville, Arkansas, wearing an unbelievable amount of jewelry, and carrying a Louis Vuitton bag. What man carried a Louis Vuitton bag in those days? He got onto the tarmac, looking like J-Lo, and just looked around, blinking like 'What am I doing here?'"

No comments: