Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Fab Four Friday

Yesterday "A Hard Day's Night" came on. Man, is there ANY moment in history as exciting as those days when the Beatles come to America? I'm floored every time I see footage of this, or read the stories of djs announcing by the minute where their plane is over the Atlantic. The music was over the top great and about to change the world, and then they show up and they're funny to boot. All that black and white footage is exhilerating, and then the timing...New York City looks like it's having one big snow day, right? Unreal. I can not think of a single more exciting moment where culture, media and tomorrow comes together all at once. And when you see the films, knowing that they ended up NOT being little boy band pussies, that they really were the best makes it even better. How unreal must it have been to be on of the very 4 young men at the epicenter of this craziness? Did iut suck being everyone else?

Back in 1995 when the anthology came out, PBS ran "A Hard Days Night" and "Help!" on an endless loop, along with the Making of HDN. Watched them ad nauseum in Mississippi.

MY TOP 5 BEATLES CUTS (right now, this second, I know they'll change by lunch, except for I Wanna Hold Your Hand, which is THE most exciting 2 minutes in rock n roll, STILL):

I Wanna Hold Your Hand
I'm So Tired
It Won't Be Long
Let it Be
Rain

No comments: