Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Kiddie Lit, with a Lot of Links

When I was a kid I read me the fuck out of children's literature; certainly my mother being a librarian and Brothatime!! and I spending 8-hour stretches there while she worked made it very easy to pretty much read every book for young adults written before and up to 1983. Also, it was the Dark Ages, and there was nothing else to do (this was before I invented the lawn dart.)

My second or third favorite class I took in college was one on teaching children's lit, as I wrote about HERE, and yes, I'm STILL waiting for my laughs re: the kid on the cover of The Chosen being Watty.

So I'm digging THIS GUY'S WEBSITE, he's a monster when it comes to keeping up with and writing about going down memory lane when it comes to young adult lit. Enjoy!

Also: still trying to remember the kid in England who liked elephants so much that I read about a lot. Grrr.

Also 2.0: while I loved book series like any kid, including The Great Brain et al, I never read any of those Beverly Cleary books. I don't really know why. Too girly? Well, maybe, but plenty of books in kid's lit have girls. Plus, I read everything Judy Blume put out, so.

I am an enigmatic, soulful cat. Sigh.

Also 2.0a: I'm also trying to remember the series I loved about two kids, one named Fenton and the other (I think) Carlton, who would go on trippy adventures with some old lady who was/wasn't a witch. Anyone remember that? Wtf? Can't find anywhere.

Also, next up in my documentary-making cue is to track down Robert Newton Peck.

No comments: