Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Girls

I'm looking forward to finally watching HBO's Girls, if for no other reason than I'm tired of fucking hearing about it, and I think this makes sense:
1.1 million people watched over the two airings. This is not a small number, this is not large number, it is just fine. Well, until you compare it to the 500 million who watched the first moon landing, which like Girls was an event that supposedly defined a generation. More than anything, these numbers suggest that Girls, despite being a show that launched 1,000 thinkpieces, is just another niche, premium cable television program; however, somewhat luckily for Girls, its niche is people who write thinkpieces about niche, premium cable television.
It's the ol' "barely anybody actually witnessed the Factory or CBGB's in real time, but the few that did all wrote ten books about it" idea, I suppose.

(Crossing my fingers that Dwight Twilley does the theme song!)

No comments: