Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Movies 101

I'm thinking I might have to give up the ghost this year and try to be more of a "movie guy." I usually turn my nose up the more young auteurs start blathering re: Fellini/Cassavettes (but not Hughes!), but maybe it's me that's missing out. Oh, I watch MOVIES; but usually it's, you know....a movie I've already seen. Like right now, I'm watching "John Q." Again. Maybe I can take a lesson from my more movie-snobby friends and see what the fuss is about. For instance, I've never seen "Raging Bull." Or "Casablanca." Or "Citizen Caine." Which I'm not sure I just spelled right.

So.

Starting tomorrow, I am going to watch one movie a day. I don't mean "Hoosiers' or "Jaws", I mean something I've never seen before. From start to finish. Feel free to shoot me your recommendations. They don't all have to be deep, life changing numbers, just great movies. We'll see how long this lasts.

Love,
SITCOM GUY

PS - just saw the list of AFI's 100 Greatest American Movies of All Time. Out of 100, I've seen....11. And one of those was "Forrest Gump." ugh.

12 comments:

BayonneMike said...

Those 3 you mentioned are a good start. Which of these have you seen: Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, Apocalypse Now, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, A Clockwork Orange, The Third Man, The Wild Bunch, The Manchurian Candidate, Touch of Evil, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Vertigo, and Rear Window? Those are some of my favorites.

Xmastime said...

out of those? lessee...

no, no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no aaaaaaaannd....no. if theyre BM slices, theyll go to the front of the "que" :)

BayonneMike said...

Man, you are a Sitcom Guy. Too bad you can't borrow my dust-collecting videos (or dvds).

Anonymous said...

Cocktail, bro. nuttin better than a young elizabeth shue.

Xmastime said...

true!
but already seen it 67,000 times. mostly or the chick in the gold bikini and gina gersgon

Anonymous said...

Who’s afraid of Virginia Woolf
It’s a Wonderful Life
Philadelphia Story
Bonnie & Clyde
The Unforgiven
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Streetcar Named Desire
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Long Day’s Journey Into Night
On Golden Pond
Gone With the Wind
The Graduate

Xmastime said...

dont count for these purposes, but I did catch "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" for the 7000th time. My flick o flicks. Maybe funnier than ever as I get older. And my buddy Ryan and I were marveling at Hughes' run from 1984-1990ish. Unrivaled run, tho i know that real cinephiles turn their nose up at him.

Xmastime said...

think i convinced him to cue up "Dutch" on his netflix!

BayonneMike said...

Is On Golden Pond on rylo's list because of Jane Fonda's bikini? I can't think of any other reason.

Mr. Bad Example said...

Those who mock Hughes are trash. He did indeed have an amazing run, and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is up among the top on my list, too. John Candy at his best. Plus, Steve Earle's on the soundtrack (own it on vinyl).

As for the classics, I'm partial to The Lost Weekend. It's my go-to pick when I'm trying to make it look like I watch anything other than '80s comedies.

Angie said...

Crash and Donnie Darko are both good!

Anonymous said...

A Face in the Crowd. Fuggin´ Andy Griffith is great in that thing.