Wednesday, April 04, 2007

RIP Coach Robinson

Some people are lucky to live 56 years; Eddie Robinson had the same job that long. Probably every young man could use someone like Coach Robinson on his ass - every clip I've seen so far today isn't on the football field, but him rolling through the dorms waking dudes up and patrolling the cafeteria barking at them. Who doesn't love this guy? I can still recall my one phone conversation with Coach, me being angry I hadn't gotten a scholarship offer after I had sent in my highlight reel.

"Coach, camon! This is crap! You need me!"
"Son, this is a black school."
"That's discrimination!!"
"Okay. I saw your tape. You suck."
(long pause)
(more long pause)

"you...saw my blocked kick at Lancaster?"
"I gotta go. Good luck." (click)











"Which one of you ^%$#@#!!* gave Xmastime my digits?"

No comments: