Tuesday, July 31, 2007

And to Be Honest, I Would Vote "no" for McGuire Even w/o the Steroid Stuff

Having grown up when I did, I was looking forward to seeing Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn enshrined into the baseball HOF this weekend. Represented all that baseball stood for, blah blah fucking blah. But I must say, I had a bit of a bad taste in my mouth after the ceremonies for several reasons. First of all, it really seemed like it was Cal’s coronation and Tony was just there to check the coats. It’s not really anyone’s fault – Baltimore is closer to Cooperstown, Cal was more universally popular, etc etc. But I didn’t like the vibe that Tony was a second class citizen there – especially when, let’s be honest, you can MUCH more easily make a case for Cal not belonging there than vice versa. Hopefully I’m the only one who felt this and Tony didn’t. Secondly, enough with the fucking trying to make this induction a “fuck you” to Barry Bonds and those who didn’t “stand for everything that is great about baseball” like Cal and Gwynn. Particularly when speaking of Ripken’s Golden Image, the smugness and condescension with which these fuckers spoke was beyond suffocating. Co-opting this moment as another way to “get Barry!!” is something that I feel everyone, and Ripken in particular, will regret one day. Looking back at his speech with his grandkids, I think Rip will think “you know....I wish the moments of the day hadn’t hijacked the memories of a 21-year career I busted my ass for.” Of course you know how I feel about MLB’s handling of Bonds in general, so you know I can’t say I’m surprised. Fucking douches. On Gwynn and Ripken’s day, they let it become about Bonds. Who I hope was laughing during the whole thing.

Also, enough with the unflattering pictures and jokes about Gwynn’s weight. Fuck you. This dude is the best hitter in half a century and a Hall of Famer. On this day of all days, keep the Jabba the Hut jokes to yourself as you wipe off the Cool Ranch chips from your man titties and bleat about the day in 1979 you went 2 for 3 for your church league. Fucking pathetic. Dude was more of an athlete than you could ever dream of being (I’m sorry – did you get drafted by both MLB and the NBA...on THE SAME DAY???!!?) The fact that I can read an article on a man’s induction into the Hall of Fame and am subjected to your “cracks” about his weight makes me think your mother should’ve kept taking it up the ass instead of letting your father crank one out in her pussy. Douchebag.

Anyways. Two great athletes, pillars of greatness for the ages. And MLB, so desperate to use chagrin to hide it’s own guilt, wanting to politicize the day for it's own gain, casting an unnecessary shadow over the whole thing. Shame.

No comments: