Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Vick and Dogs

Dogs are an emotional, hot-button issue. We all love dogs. I love dogs. We hear about a mistreated dog, we go crazy. We have had exactly one official protestor of the Iraq War, but thousands of people were poised like locusts to descend upon Falcons' practice if Vick had been there. Pretend wars we're okay with, lying politicans we laugh with, oil companies screwing us is cool and genocide in Darfur, can't be bothered. But dogs? Hold up!!

Obviously what Michael Vick has been doing is horrible. But boy, I just saw that he could conceivably serve up to 20 years in prison. 20 years! He's prolly gonna hafta plea bargain to get it down to one year. I don't have all the facts of the case, I don't know what's right or wrong, but could you really imagine pulling the trigger on sending someone away for years because of dogs? I know I'm heartless because dogs are even more important than people, everyone will scream at me. I know, I know. Vick deserves to be punished. But after years of being led around by our emotions like 6 year-old schoolgirls about every issue under the sun, I'm hoping we can start the long climb back to rationale and reason with a case that at least doesn't have HUMAN victims. Take a breath.

No comments: