Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lil Bear

It shocks me when I realize my godson Lil Bear isn't even 2 years old yet. Unreal. 6, 8 months ago I'd casually think of him as you know, a 2-year old. And here he is, still 7 weeks away. Two weeks ago we were playing at Mamalu's - he'd come running at me and I'll tackle him, he'd laugh his head off and then sprint back to the line of scrimmage to start another play. All of a sudden I was like "...omigod...am I...literally tackling a one year old boy?"

But even funnier is today I realized that when I reference going to visit him, I say "I went over to Lil Bear's house." Not his dad's, not his mom's, but Lil Bear's. I catch myself earnestly saying out loud that I am going to visit a 1 year-old, same as I would were I visiting an old friend or colleague my own age. "Going to Lil Bear's, see yall later." To me he's a grown person - I can already see he'll be a quarterback even though he'll have the biggest thighs on the team, and I can see that if he spots you picking on a smaller kid you will hafta deal with him first. I can see it clear as day; I will not question this. He is the perfect amalgamation of boy, man, and shark with a mohawk that teaches Keats to Cub Scouts. Getting to see him is like Christmas morning: I love it, I live for it and it's worth going to sleep early for.

4 comments:

Angelissima said...

aw! you old softy.
so, when ya gonna give us your Oscar predictions?

ope said...

hes lucky as fuck to have you, shot.

Xmastime said...

well, that was the last line i had edited out myself

HIYOOOOOOOOO!!!! :)

Gina said...

can you stay like this?