Wednesday, May 07, 2008

DC Calling

Over the last few months I've been very hard on someone I've looked up to for a long time now: Andrew Sullivan. Today I emailed him, pointing out my Hitler/Hillary post from this morning. I of course expected for him to not even see the email or take time to look at the post, much less reply. But to his credit, he did. He wrote to me. Now, I don't know, maybe he replies to a lot of reader mail, but I was very touched he took the time to write me back. Especially onsidering, of course, my post painted him as a bit of a douchebag. But heck, he wrote me back. To which I quickly 1) disagreed with him and 2) let him know it. Of course my response was a blizzard of emotion; it's not til now that I've really settled into what a smart, rational answer would have been. Fuck. But I've always admired the way he prints opposing views on his blog - those that paint him as wrong, misguided etc from various readers. And he never bashes them; he prints their emails and lets them lie as is, letting us be the judge. Of course he's usually talking about international policy or the election and I'm writing about 1) trim 2) fisting 3) trim, but I'd like to think I can learn something from today. Par exampla, never attack percieved irrationality with more irrationality. Period.

No comments: