Monday, May 19, 2008

Jukebox

Back in the days before I turned 85 years old I used to actually go out to bars. Sometimes even in the city. A lifetime ago. A nester by nature, once I find a bar I like I hunker down for the long haul - the one thing that has driven me out of favorite bars has been the influx of those fucking internet jukeboxes. Christ. Or, worse, when the bartender assaults us with his/her fucking iPod. Brutal. Anyways, there's a few bars that (back when they had jukeboxes) if they (and I) existed 50 years from now and I walked in and they had their old jukes, I would immediately play a certain song. Was that sentence in the future past future giraffe tense?

The Village Idiot - You Never Even Call Me By My Name, David Allen Coe (runner up: Jolene)
Turkey's Nest - Land of Hope and Dreams, Bruce Springsteen (runners up: I Wish It Would Rain and Heard It In a Love Song)
Mugs - Green River, CCR
Halloween Bar - Paradise by the Dashboard Light, Meat Loaf (runners up: Him or Me and Waiting for the Day)
The Palace Bar - When the Whip Comes Down, Rolling Stones (also Paradise by the Dashboard Light until the bartender cuts it off)

No comments: