Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Life in Championships

NBA: Celtics 1984, 1986…2008!!!!! I feel like I saw every game of that 1986 season, was definitly the greatest season ever...even though I saw Bird/Magic in 1979 NCAA Final, I don’t remember 1981 NBA Finals at all. Sorry Larry!!

College Basketball: closest I came was my 1987 Indiana team…THANK YOU, TERRY HOLLAND!!! You suck!!! Virginia Final Four Teams: 1981, 1984. My favorite sports team ever:

1981 Virginia Cavaliers.
Ralph Sampson
Jeff Lamp
Lee Raker
Othell Wilson
Jeff Jones

Lost to UNC (for the THIRD TIME) at the Spectrum in Philly in the Final Four.

Side note: this UVa team won the last ever consolation game in NCAA history - beating LSU on the day it was announced Ronald Reagan was shot. Lamp and Raker's last game. Jeff Lamp graduated as the leading scorer in UVa history, with 2,317 points. I believe Lee Raker had 1,849....though actually, I think that might be Wally Walker's scoring totals. Sorry!*

NCAA Football: 1988 Notre Dame. SIDE NOTE: ND shoulda won the next year too, were it not for a questionable holding call on a Rocket kickoff return with less than 2:00 left against Colorado in the Orange Bowl. Fuckers.

MLB: YANKEES 1998, 1999, 2000…lost the World Series in 2001 and 2003

NFL: COWBOYS 1992, 1993, 1995. I remember that Super Bowl they lost to the Steelers 35-31, but I have no recollection of them beating Denver the year before. Them losing three straight NFC Championship Games in a row sucked. Eagles, 49ers, Redskins. Grrrrrrr.

* Wally Walker had 1,849 points...Lee Raker had 1,432

2 comments:

Nerdhappy said...

A Notre Dame player's arm brushed against a Colorado player's thigh and they called a fekkin hold.

Worse for me though was in 1993 when Notre Dame (9-1) beat Florida State (9-1), but Florida State was crowned National Champion bc/ of ND's loss to BC. A classic case of overthinking (and anti-ND prejudice).

What about the 1996 Yankees?

Rambler said...

No recollection of the 27-10 Denver win. Robert Newhouse half-back option pass to Golden Richards. The bomb to Butch Johnson that today would've been overruled by replay. That was the first super bowl I really watched...rooted for the broncos of course