Monday, October 06, 2008

Lincoln Logs

I just read for the very first time that Robert Todd Lincoln Beckwith, the last descendant of Abraham Lincoln, died in Saluda, VA in 1985. Saluda is the town seat of Middlesex County, which is adjacent to the very county in which I grew up. I have no idea how much time he spent in Saluda, but it would've been nice to know this at the time, no? Did NObody take advantage of this fact; did no history teachers in the area realize this and try to get him into a class? I know mine sure didn't. I turned 13 halfway through 1985. I remember a LOT of things about 1985. But I do not remember anybody pointing out that the last descendant of Abraham Lincoln had died about 10 miles away from my house. Amazing.

Saluda; hell, there's NOTHING in Saluda except the local jail. When I was in high school there were three guys from my hometown serving time there, and when Otis Bowens (Bus 4 alumnus!) got sent there the joke was "great, now they got a 4th for a card game!"

No comments: