Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Xmastime Sunday Brunch Radio Hour!

This Ain’t Havana – The Ramones
I will never, ever do a radio show here without a Ramones slice. Period.
This Aint Havana - The Ramones

Soul Drippin’ – The Standells
This is s whack song; so weirdly slow that it sounds as if the singer (who was once a Mousekateer) has to make an effort to stretch out the words to fill up the spaces. Also, “Soul Drippin’” is a funny thing to sing about from some of the whitest guys in the world, no? Hey, lets be real: ain’t a lotta brothers out there singing about how much they love Boston, are there?
Soul Drippin - The Standells

In the Pines – The Louvin Brothers
Later made famous of course by Kurt Cobain. I was disappointed to find that one of the Louvin Brothers was still alive; I had always imagined they had some spectacular ending, making a deal with Satan for a coup de ville, or some whiskey. Though I am pleased Kurt Cobain is still dead HIYOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
In the Pines - The Louvin Brothers


Ugly – Violent Femmes
I never understood why this was left off their eponymous classic of-the-ages debut record. Why would you leave this off? And how come nobody wonders who this is about, a la “You’re So Vain”? Is it possible Gordon Gano even knew who Kirsten Dunst was when he wrote this? Interesting.
Ugly (UK Single) - Violent Femmes

It Won’t Be Long – The Beatles
One of those classic, super-early Beatles songs where if you read the words you’re like “this…is a song?” But it rocks, propelled by pure energy and excitement. And if you play it backwards, at the 1:16 mark you can hear Paul whispering “Seriously, when the fuck IS Chinese Democracy coming out?”
It Wont Be Long - The Beatles

Dream Baby Dream - Suicide
This super-slice makes me think of when I was in college; I’d listen to this over and over and then, at like three in the morning, I’d call my buddy’s family farmhouse. Nobody had lived there for years, and it was like 200 or 300 acres all to itself. And 200 years old. I’d call up, and picture the phone ringing in absolute country blackness, always thrilling myself with wondering what would I do if somebody actually answered it. Answer: probably roll over and fuck my girlfriend, since this would be 1993 and I actually had one.
Dream Baby Dream - Suicide

Love in Vain – Robert Johnson
I can only listen to Robert Johnson if it’s after midnight, pitch black and I got a bottle of whiskey. Or if I just have a bottle of whiskey. In which case, ironically, I don’t hear anything. Deal with the devil? Only if he’ll have me.
Love In Vain Blues - Robert Johnson

No Sand – The Rational Herdsmen
From the mid-80’s James Madison University scene that also gave us DT & the Shakes and the Undecided. This whole ep is off the charts great, even if it sounds like it was recorded inside a pencil sharpener on a sheet of metal inside another pencil sharpener. Of course, I mean that in a good way.
Sand to Bury Our Heads - Rational Herdsmen

Right in Time – Lucinda Williams
Is there a more Mrs. Xmastime prototype than Lucinda? Good lord, horse teeth coming out and wrapping themselves around her cougar titties. Jesus. I wore this album out when it came out, not a bad moment on it. But sometimes I wonder if I also love it so much cause of the cd cover, which reminds me so much of early nights walking around when I was a boy. “When I was a boy”…like I’m an armadillo now! (credit – Billy Crystal, 1985)
Right In Time - Lucinda Williams


Celebrated Summer – Husker Du
The greatest joke about Husker Du has always been who ever woulda guessed that outta the three of them, the only guy that WASN’T gay ended up being the one with the short shorts and handlebar mustache? Anyways, this is a top 5 HD slice.
Celebrated Summer - Hüsker Dü

No comments: