Monday, December 01, 2008

Networking

Many of you already know the generosity of Kelly from The Hachette Book Group - War As They Knew It AND Outliers having been given out by Kelly to my loyal readers. What a world...I write about a book I love, and the publisher sends around a bunch of free copies!!!

This weekend I somehow landed upon Mad About U: Four Decades of Basketball at University Hall and flipped my wig...HOLY SHIT!! You people have heard me dither like a schoolgirl re: Jeff Lamp et al, and guess what? He was interviewed for this book. A book about Lamp, Raker, Sampson, and before - a book about fucking U-Hall, which I saw for countless hours on my tv as a kid, dreaming one day I'd BE Jeff Lamp.

Anyways, I was marveling that such a book had been published at all, when I thought heeeeeeeeeey....why not email the publisher, ask for a freebie? Send me a copy, and I'll write about it on Xmastime! I always hear about people "deciding what they want and then taking it, or simply asking for it," which I've never done...until now (side note - Foot Locker's generosity with me has been OFF THE CHARTS, but it never came about because I asked for it; I never really thought of it as some sort of "deal" that I concocted.) What's the worst he can do - not answer my email? OUCH!! So I write the U-Hall book guy (Chris), ask for a copy, and BLAMMO! Dude writes back, OF COURSE he'll send me a copy! (AND made himself available for an interview in the future!) How awesome is that...what a generous thing to do, I was thinking. But then hey, I AM giving his book a bunch of publicity. Is this what the world's like - exchanging something you have to offer for something someone else does? What do you know. So now I'm sitting back and thinking well hell, I might as well wonder what ELSE I'd like to get for free. What can I ask for in exchange for a review on Xmastime, I'm thinking...

Finally I came up with what I think is a great place to start. Below is my email; I have not heard from the company yet, but I just sent it, so...seems like if they're HALF as nice and generous as Kelly and Chris have already been, I'll get what I want, and be able to write about it on Xmastime. Keep your fingers crossed!!
Dear Sir/Ma’am

I am the proprietor of a blog called XMASTIME, and from time to time I am given free products ("freebies") in exchange for reviews/publicity on my blog. I have a very loyal readership – a “thumbs up” from me is a guarantee for more sales of your product.

Therein, I would like to offer you the chance for me to critique and review the products of your company - in exchange for free goods, I will do my best to promote your company on my blog.

I think a fair sample would be for you to send over a girl of each ethnicity – one white, one black, one Asian/Latin/whatever. That way, I can really get a grip on what you have to offer – are the Asians REALLY “submissive”? If my reader asks for a black girl, will he know for sure he is getting “a night in the jungle of passion”? And what DOES "hard candy from a lonely TS" mean? The more I can tell my readers, the more likely they'll buy from your company.

I suggest we dedicate one week to each type of girl; then on the 4th week I will post my review on XMASTIME. Thank you in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

XMASTIME

No comments: