Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bill Garrett

I know nothing more about this than what's in this article, so I'm refraining from assuming "racist hicks." Hey, I'm not from the Midwest, so maybe I don't understand what they actually mean when they decide to NOT honor the first black player in school history, but still go ahead and name the building after a guy whose claim to fame seems to be writing a letter opposing school integration.

But as a fan of Indiana high school basketball history, I'm interested to see that Bill Garrett was the coach that succeeded the coach of the Crispus Attacks team I mentioned last year, the first black team to win the state championship and then weren't allowed a parade downtown like the white previous winners.
Of course when Attucks won, the powers that be decided you know what, they should have the parade "in your own community." No fire trucks, no Indiannapolis. The players were driven outside of town to hold their party because, and I quote, "They said the blacks are gonna tear up downtown."

No comments: